FAQ related to researches and business-academia collaboration
- Are there any laws or guidelines with regard to breeding or experiment of animals?
- Can a frog or a fish which is used in a science experiment be a target of the fundamental policy of Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology?
- After an experiment we are supposed to report of the result of the experiment. If an experimental plan is needed to be over multi years, should we report in each year basis?
Project Research Center
- What is Project Research Center?
- What is the relationship between Project Research Center and "** research center" which is applied for and admitted?
- Are there any advantages on Project Research Center?
- What is "private sector etc." of joint research system?
- When I would like to do joint research as part of research center project inside project research center, by which head of a department do I receive the decision?
- What is the joint research of collaborative type?
- What is the joint research of divided type?
- Could you tell me about the research expenses for joint researcher and indirect cost?
- A joint research was contracted at a multi-year and the research funds was paid in a lump sum in its first year. Can this funds be carried forward to the next fiscal year?
- Laws or guidelines with regard to breeding or experiment of animals are as follows.
- Act on Welfare and Management of Animals (1 Oct 1973 law 105th)
- Order for enforcement of act on Welfare and Management of Animals (7 Apr 1975 government ordinance 107th)
- Ordinance for enforcement of act on Welfare and Management of Animals (20 Jan 2006 ordinance 1st of Ministry of the Environment)
- Standard with regard to breeding, storage, and lowering of distress of experimental animals (28 Apr 2006 announcement 88th of Ministry of the Environment)
- Policy with regard to the way of killing animals (12 Nov 2007 announcement 105th of Ministry of the Environment)
- Fundamental policy with regard to implementation of animal experiment etc. at research institute etc. (1 Jun 2006 announcement 71st of Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology)
- Fundamental policy with regard to implementation of animal experiment etc. at implementing agency overseen by Health, Labour and Welfare Ministry
- Thus you can understand the basic idea with regard to breeding and experiment of animals is based on "Act on Welfare and Management of Animals". But the animal experimental committee of the whole university board which universities set up seems to determine the fundamental policy about animal experiment based on "Fundamental policy with regard to implementation of animal experiment etc. at research institute etc." among above mentioned. Saitama University does in the same way.
- Because the target animal is mammals, birds, and reptilians, so amphibias and fishes are exempt from the fundamental policy of Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
- If the term to termination of experiment is over multi years, the animal experimental committee discusses the period to report the result when the animal experimental plan is admitted, considering whether the discussion about the scientific reasonability of animal experiment is needed during implementation of the experiment.
Project Research Center
- Project Research Center is the system in which Research Management Bureau provides space of research activity to a certain group without charge in principle and allows the group to act as the name of research center which the group hopes to use after screening of Research Management Bureau. This group is supposed to have the following three characteristics. Firstly, it has concrete achievement of researches contributing to local society that it has conducted by acquisition of external fund or accepting on trust of commissioned business. Secondly, it is the research project that is expected to be the body receiving external fund or commissioned business etc. under expectation of returning the achievement of research or concrete foresight of development of research hereafter. Thirdly, it is willing to keep on acting as the name of research center hereafter. Basically, Research Management Bureau gives a name "** research center" and provides space of research activity without charge (one year, possible to renew).
- "** research center" which starts if they apply for and are admitted is supposed to be situated as "research center" put inside Project Research Center set up at Research Management Bureau.
- As to advantages, there seems to be the case which gets an edge more in applying for by group belonging to Project Research Center than by individuals when they get an external fund. And it is more efficient from the aspect of returning a research achievement to society if the Center acts as intermediary.
- "Private sector etc." points private company such as stock company, local public organization, independent administrative institution, special public institution, legal body which is established by article 34 of civil law.
- Because research center inside project research center does not have a dedicated teacher, a representative person of the research is supposed to receive the decision of head of a department he/she belongs to as a dedicated member.
- The joint research of collaborative type means receiving researchers and research funds necessary for the research from the private sector etc.. In this case, the total of research funds and 420,000 yen in the annual sum per person of researcher (This is called "research expenses for joint researcher") is paid by the private sector etc.. If there is no particular research funds necessary for the research, only the research expenses for joint researcher can be paid by the private sector etc..
- The joint research of divided type means that both private sector etc. and university divide the research and do it in each place. In this case, only the research funds is paid by the private sector etc..
- 420,000 yen in the annual sum per person of joint researcher is paid to university by the private sector etc., and 10% of research expenses for joint researcher is assumed to be indirect cost in Saitama University.(referring to indirect cost of the competitive research funds and overhead of external fund: February, 2004) Therefore, for example, 42,000 yen of 420,000 yen for one joint researcher becomes indirect cost, and 378,000 yen is used as the necessary expenses in the department where the researcher is received.
- Research funds paid in a lump sum in its first year (direct cost, research expenses) : can be carried forward to the next fiscal year concerning a part of it. For more information, please contact the person in charge of research support of belonging department or Industry-academia-government collaboration and intellectual property group of research administration division.(firstname.lastname@example.org)
To the FAQ related to researches and business-academia collaboration | ]|